Neurosurgery is concerned with the prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of disorders which affect any portion of the nervous system including the brain, spinal cord and peripheral nerves. The conditions treated and cared for by a neurosurgeon (Mr Benjamin Lopez) include:
- First consultation and second opinion services for spinal disorders.
- Multidisciplinary management of spinal pain caused by degenerative disease and herniated discs.
- Minimally invasive techniques for the diagnosis and treatment of symptoms caused by lumbar, thoracic and cervical spinal disc disease.
- Microsurgical treatment of spinal disc disease.
- Non surgical treatment of lower back pain
- Spinal cord trauma
- Traumatic injuries of peripheral nerves
- Infections and Tumours of the spine, spinal cord and peripheral nerves
- Surgical treatment of meningiomas.
- Tumour resections with functional cortical mapping for lesions in eloquent areas.
- Endoscopic trans-sphenoidal surgery for pituitary adenomas.
- Surgical treatment of vestibular schwannomas (acoustic neuromas) and other lesions of the posterior fossa.
- The after effects of head injury
- Some forms of movement disorders such as advanced Parkinson's disease and chorea
- Intractable pain of cancer or trauma patients and cranial/peripheral nerve pain
- Vascular malformations (i.e., arteriovenous malformations, venous angiomas, cavernous angiomas, capillary telangectasias) of the brain and spinal cord
- Comprehensive management of trigeminal neuralgia.
- Minimally invasive, percutaneous retrogasserian radiofrequency thermocoagulation.
- Microvascular decompression of the trigeminal nerve.
- Microvascular decompression of the facial nerve for hemifacial spasm.